Many excellent performers can make music. Some can even make their instrument sing. But only a few use it to speak and say things that matter. Marielle Nordmann is one of these.Marielle Nordmann was born in France, and started the piano at the age of 6. When she was 10 she met the legendary harpist Lily Laskine, a meeting that was to determine her choice of instrument and career.
• She is recognised and admired as a soloist throughout the world, and plays with the greatest performers : Y.Baschmet, C.Bolling, F.R.Duchable, F.Fontanarosa, S.Kudo, F.Pahud, N. Radulovic, and with actors M.Duchaussoy, M.C.Solar, P.Tchernia..., and has been the privileged partner of L.Laskine and J.P.Rampal. She is guest soloist with the greatest orchestras : the London Symphony Orchestra, the Japan Philharmonic Orchestra, the English Chamber Orchestra, the Salzburg Mozarteum, i Solisti Veneti, the Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra (Budapest), the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, les Solistes de Moscou, the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, the Orquesta Colón (Buenos Aires), the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France... under great conductors such as S.Baudo, R.Benzi, M.Corboz, T.Guschelbauer, L.Hager, M.Janowski, A.Jordan, A.Lombard, Y.Menuhin, J.Neschling...
• Her musical activity includes works originally written for the harp, as well as transcriptions (which she often makes herself) and modern creations : J.Charpentier, E.Denisov, G.Finzi, J.Françaix, P.Hersant, M.Landowski, L.Petitgirard, R.E.Rautavaara.
In 2008 she gave the world premiere of the Concerto in C minor by Elias Parish-Alvars (1847) in Israel, with the Israel Sinfonietta conducted by Avi Ostrowsky.
• In parallel with this brilliant career as an internationally renowned soloist, Marielle Nordmann has for a number of years now been creating musical spectacles in which she aims to combine different art-forms (mime, dance, comedy). In these she also plays the role of narrator. These include “La Musique et l’enfant” (Music and the child), “La Harpe, vous connaissez ?” (What do you know of the harp ?), “La Harpe Apprivoisée” (The Taming of the Harp), a musical story with masks and tap-dancing, “Tempéraments de feu” (Temperaments of fire, 2005), and the creation in 2008 of the spectacle “Voyage” (Journey).
• She was co-founder of the Journées Internationales de la Harpe in Arles, and of the Lily Laskine International Harp competition in Paris, and has also set up master classes for children under the aegis of the Conservatoire Supérieur de Paris. From 1989 to 1999 she taught in Argentina, where she created the first national harp competition. She is currently Chair of the judging panel for Music of the Banque Populaire Group’s foundation, and has just created the festival “les Musicales” in Paris for them.
• She believes in “music for all, wherever possible”, e.g. in hospitals and prisons. For her music enhances life and heightens emotions. She likes to apply to herself the maxim “One of the things that I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one’s work seriously and taking oneself seriously. The first is essential and the second disastrous”.
• The richness of her personality, her sense of humour, her vitality and her human warmth make her a grande dame. The power and fulness of the sounds she produces, combined with exceptional musicianship and great sensitivity of timing, put her in the special ranks of great performers.